Search engine optimization is necessary for all things Internet in the modern world. SEO is of course important to anyone trying to make money online through websites and their traffic and ad revenue, but it’s also critical to anyone looking to make sure their business website stands out from the pack. Even individuals not looking for profit per se need SEO sometimes, if they want to promote their website and resume in a job hunt, or even their social media accounts if they are trying market themselves as an author or artist.
Regardless of what brings you to the Internet table, knowing how to learn SEO is critical if you want to have any success in it. Keep reading to learn 8 such ways you can use to master at least the fundamentals of search engine optimization. If you want to keep these and learn from a true expert then go to Gotch SEO Academy for a crash course in SEO learning.
1) Follow a few blogs. There are thousands of authors writing online about search engine optimization. It doesn’t take a lot of surfing to find good ones, ones that are obviously successful at it, individuals who share without selling something, and ones that do the kind of optimization you’re looking for. That last part is sometimes a little tricky. While everyone in the search engine optimization game is looking to promote their website, the goals and tactics do vary. An SEO expert looking to promote a dropshipping website is going to have a different end game in mind than an aspiring photographer trying to get his portfolio noticed.
2) Know your keywords and key phrases. The specific search strings that people would use to possibly find your website for are what you need to target in getting the attention of search engines. If you are just starting out, it’s best to pick only three to five, and make sure that you have content on your website optimized for those words.
3) Build your backlinks carefully. In the old days, you could just promote your site by having hundreds or thousands of links from relevant sites pointing back to yours. That’s no longer the case, but relevant links from reputable, high-quality websites that search engines recognize as authorities on their topics are very desirable links these days.
4) Keep up with what Google is doing. Most Internet searching is done through Google, so being in their good graces and optimizing for them can deliver sound results. When Google updates their algorithms, it often sends shockwaves throughout the SEO community.
5) Be mindful of mobile users. The fastest growing segments of the Internet are mobile electronics users of smartphones, tablets, and similar devices. Make sure that your website is both accessible to them, but also optimized too.
6) Decide on global versus local. For some websites, it makes sense to compete with everyone online in their arena, like if you are running an online business that deals in rare and vintage violins. In other cases, it makes sense to only compete locally, like if you are operating a carpet cleaning business. SEO campaigns can be done only for local results within your city if that is where you need business. There’s no sense ranking a website to show up for Cleveland searchers if you only do business in Dallas.
7) Join a forum. There are many SEO forums online where you can ask questions and converse with other enthusiasts also hoping to be or already successful in this field. Filter your search results for free forums, and be sure that it’s one that’s actually active and has been for some time.
8) Spend some time on YouTube. SEO experts have likely hundreds of thousands of videos about their tactics, campaigns, successes, and failures uploaded to the video sharing giant. Follow your gut, and you’ll often know within minutes if you want to listen to someone through all their content. Finding a regularly updated channel is a great way to get new ideas and information on a regular basis.
Now you that you know these 8 ways how to learn SEO, you can make search engine optimization something you learn the basics of. You can apply it as large or small as you like, be it a business that creates your retirement fund, or just getting the word out about a family reunion website.